Sunday, October 28, 2007

Least Favorite Chore

What's your least favorite chore?

You would think mine would be something like cleaning toilets, or picking up dog poop, right? I hate both of those chores too, but I always manage to muster the strength to do them.

But when it comes to emptying the dishwasher, well, I just can't do it. I don't know what it is about it. I just hate it. Objectively, it's not that bad of a chore. The dishes are clean, for one thing, so it's not at all a nasty thing to do like some chores can be. And it should be nice, just like putting away clean laundry, that a task is completed. It's done. The dishes are clean.

But no. I can't stand it and I don't know why. Fortunately for me, my DH, on the mornings when he's home, puts them away first thing. I love him for it. I lie in bed and hear him clanging around putting away clean dishes. And even though it disturbs my last moments of sleep, I love him for it.

But days like today? When he's not here in the morning? Sigh. The clean dishes sit in the dishwasher all day. All day. I avoid the chore like the plague. I just hand washed two entire sinks full of dishes just so I wouldn't have to unload the dishwasher. What gives with that?

I've done 3 loads of laundry so far today---from start to finish---folding and putting them away included. I've cleaned all three toilets. Yes, three. I vacuumed up the mess O made when she "baked bread" in the kitchen this morning and the mess that J made cracking open almonds. I even walked around the house with my container of Clorox wipes wiping down stair rails, light switches, doorknobs, etc., because it's flu season y'know.

But have I managed to get around to emptying the dishwasher? Nope. We'll be lucky if I manage to do it before dinner. And if I don't? Well, that's okay. DH will be here in the morning.

4 comments:

TheOneTrueSue said...

I hate laundry. DH does it. I hate taking out the trash. DH does it. I hate cooking. DH does it.

Sensing the pattern? On the other hand, I scrub the bathrooms, mop the floors pick up the toys, vaccuum, etc. He hates that stuff. Good thing there are two of us!

the dragonfly said...

My least favorite chore is cleaning out the cat litter. I do it every morning, but I complain about it every morning too. Not always out loud, but for sure in my head. :)

Memarie Lane said...

Cleaning the bathtub.

The thing I'm dreading most right now, however, is going through the cabinets and drawers for evidence of cockroach infestation and cleaning up said evidence, with a vacuum cleaner that clogs easily, and then having to de-clog said vacuum. Ugh.

Mrs. G. said...

I abhor vacuuming the stairs...and have passed the baton on to my son. I bought a sturdy step stool and my kids empty the dishwasher...they divide it up so it goes faster.