Thursday, November 1, 2007

Philanthropy Thursday

A former 2nd grader at our school has passed away.

Her name was Gema. She was in 2nd grade at our school last year and in April was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor.

This year, had she been well enough to attend school, she would have been in 3rd grade. She was a dear, sweet little girl with two older brothers who also attended our school. When she was diagnosed, the whole family moved to a larger city nearby so that she could receive better treatment for her cancer. She and her brothers were pulled from school. Our entire school prayed for her and her family.

Tuesday, she died.

She was 8 years old.

Not that it makes much difference, but today we donated to her family's account, The Gema Chavez Charitable Fund, so that her parents may better afford the funeral services.

Today, our principal said this when telling us about Gema's death---

"Life on earth with our family and friends is very precious. Please unconditionally love one another each and every moment, for we never know when we will no longer have the opportunity to be together."

I cannot think of a more important message.

14 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh wow, I am so so sorry. That actually put a lump in my throat. Why is it it takes tragedies like that to gain a new perspective. Beautiful tribute.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

hey i will be back to moo moo (just subscribed)!! :)

TheOneTrueSue said...

What a great reminder, thank you.

bichonpawz said...

Thank is a very sad story about the little girl. I agree with worksformom.

K said...

Bless her family's hearts. I cannot even imagine. Gonna hug everyone extra tomorrow.

Family Adventure said...

Oh my. Awful, just awful.
There are no words, really.

- Heidi

Stacy Michelle said...

Heidi is right, there aren't any words.

Thanks for reminding me to hug my little one tight.

Mary Alice said...

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry. That made me cry -especially since I had just been thinking about E, my daughters friend with a brain tumor.

The principles message was profound....that would make a good quote on your sideboard with a link back to the post, to help remind us all to continually love one another.

If we could all get up every day with the determination to approach every situation, with the goal of being loving - we could change the world.

"And the greatest is love" -Jesus

Mrs. G. said...

No kidding. I just hate these kinds of stories and, sadly, there are so many. Why such a short life? And with pain? I have no answers on this one.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Such a sad story. Thank you for reminding us what is truly important.

painted maypole said...

so sorry. wise words from the principal, thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry for your loss as well as her family's.

Stuff like that always makes you really think about how precious life is and how important it is to let the people in your life know how much you love them.

Jen said...

That was beautiful.

Maddie spent the better part of the day crying over this - I think it is hard on all of the kids at school. I cannot fathom the pain that poor family is enduring. Just can't.

Lisa said...

gave me chills.....oh, that poor, poor family. I can't even imagine.