Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Bruxism

Another word I had learn for my class is "bruxism." It means "teeth grinding" though I don't know why you wouldn't just say that. Anyway, I do it and it's extremely annoying.

My dentist hates it, though he says he does it himself. He uses one of those mouth guard thingys, and he thinks I ought to use one too. Eww.

In bed tonight, I find myself doing it. Why, you ask? Oh, maybe stress? Maybe lack of exercise? Who knows? But I find myself wondering....

Does this make me a bruxist?

So in my head I start thinking about the word.

Bruxist. Bruxism. Bruxarama. Bruxability. Bruxilicious.

I can't help it. I can't sleep! Once something like this gets into my brain, I just can't help myself.

So I get up and I google it---"bruxism," that is. The first thing that comes up is the Wikipedia site so I read it. Here's what it has to say---

Bruxism (from the Greek βρυγμός (brugmós), gnashing of teeth) is the grinding of the teeth, typically accompanied by the clenching of the jaw. It is an oral parafunctional activity that occurs in most humans. Bruxism is caused by the activation of reflex chewing activity; it is not a learned habit. Chewing is a complex neuromuscular activity that is controlled by reflex nerve pathways, with higher control by the brain. During sleep, the reflex part is active while the higher control is inactive, resulting in bruxism. In most people, bruxism is mild enough not to be a health problem; however, some people suffer from significant bruxism that can become symptomatic.

Now, isn't that fascinating? Aren't you so glad you're spending your time reading my blog? And aren't I so proud that I spend my time writing it?

Quick! Call your friends! Alert the media! Let them know there's a new blogger in town and she's a fabulous read!

Yes, insomnia. It's a good thing.

5 comments:

Crystal D said...

LOL, this sounds like something I would do. I am a dweller. I get fixated on something, a word, a song, or a conversation and I can can replay it in my head for hours. Note to self... do not learn Latin. I do not need a new language to dwell in.

Jen said...

You ARE a fabulous read, woman. Bruxism, huh? Chloe has it. Now I know what to call it.

Pol* said...

I am also guilty of it, and I had the same reaction to the mouth guard (ewww!) then my jaw started to hurt.... all day... and my dentist sent me to an orthodontist ($$) and he said a word that scared me --- ARTHRITIS --- He said if I kept clenching and grinding, then I would not only wreck my teeth, but the pain in my jaw would lead to arthritis in my jaw joint!
So I ran back to my dentist and got the stupid plastic splint thingy. I drool on my pillow now... (eww!) but my jaw no longer hurts.
BTW I am a mom looking for 15 minutes of peace myself.

Lisa said...

I do the same sort of thing when insomnia hits -- go to the computer and blog or look up stuff. Nice to know I'm in good company. heehee.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I have ground my teeth since I was a baby, but am never conscious of it. My poor back teeth are so ground down! Anyway, I do wear a mouth guard at night which is NOT sexy, but it is the only thing that seems to help the destruction of my teeth.

Hope you got some sleep!