Thursday, February 7, 2008

Our Barnes and Noble Days

On Tuesdays, I have a cleaning lady come to the house. It's best if the girls and I are not around while she's there. We just get in the way, and worse, I feel like I should be helping her.

A bit of guilt?

So to relieve myself of such feelings, we came up with a wonderful plan. We spend the time at Barnes and Noble. I love this idea because it also relieves two other guilts of mine---not spending enough quality time with my girls, and not spending enough time reading.

So on Tuesdays, J and I pick up O from school and head straight to Barnes and Noble. There, we each pick out a new book, and sit in the cafe. We drink tea, we share a treat, and we read to each other from our new books.

Lately, my girls have been obsessed with the American Girl series books. Each week is just enough time to need the next book in the series, so we pick out a book and devour the words, and pictures, while we nosh. The girls also take interest in what I'm reading and ponder what they might read when they are grown women. Sharing this time together, just the three of us, has become our tradition.

And we love our Barnes and Noble Days.

14 comments:

the dragonfly said...

Oh, I am incredibly jealous! I miss Barnes and Noble....

Sounds like your Tuesdays are much fun. I think it's neat that the girls are interested in what you read.

Family Adventure said...

That is a lovely tradition. I too think it's particularly sweet that your girls are interested in what YOU are reading. :)

Heidi

Candy said...

I'm just jealous of the cleaning lady. Sigh...

Memarie Lane said...

That sounds great. Would you believe our library in Oregon actually had a coffee shop? That was awesome.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I need to get over my reluctance to have a cleaning person---your routine sounds lovely. I just get all caught up in the 'what I could do with the money'; it's not like I take the money we don't spend on a cleaning lady to do anything fun, it is just the idea. . .

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I LOVE that idea. And you know what, you'll never regret that. A cleaning lady? Send her my way when your done! PLEASE!

Ann(ie) said...

What a very cool tradition!

TheOneTrueSue said...

We used to have a cleaning lady. Sigh. It WAS lovely, and I also felt weird being there when she was. We usually went to the park or something. I like your idea better ;>

Lisa said...

There's nothing like teaching your kids to love books. My love for books is immense. I love the smell and the feel of a new book! I hope my girls continue to love books too!

BTW - Goosey is loving her Kirsten book. Thank you again ;)

Lisa said...

PS - There's an award waiting for you on my site :)

Anonymous said...

Wow.. cleaning lady and reading in one day. I love it!!

bichonpawz said...

I have a similar tradition at Borders. Except the tradition with my daughter has dwindled down to just me now. But I still love my Borders days!! I hope you and your daughters keep on enjoying those days!! Remember them and treasure them....they are very special times!

Anonymous said...

I like your idea. When my girls were still young enought to enjoy it we would hit the B&N on Tuesdays too they used to (maybe still do) have story time at 10am. We'd go a little early and shop and then sit for the story and the craft. Reading is such a joy and it's fun that me and my girls have this in common.

Rose Daughter said...

*sigh* I'm jealous, I miss Barnes and Noble. I miss any bookstore that doesn't consist of college textbooks. You would think that a college town would have a nice bookstore. Grrrr....

It's great your getting your girls to read, absolutely wonderful. And I have to say I'm a bit jealous of the housecleaner, It much be nice to come home to a clean home.